Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:59:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Joseph T. Lee" <nugundam@la.best.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gratuitous name changes (was: libalias and ident)

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> One of the few things that irritate me (and I now expect) is that every so
> often, Somebody is going to change Something in the PPP configuration and
> I'll need to go in to my box (and the boxes at all of my customer sites)
> and reconfigure ppp.conf.
>
> It's why I always update my boxes fist, get a clean compile, update my
> customers' boxes, get things stable on my end, and then pray I got
> everything right on my customers' boxes.  While this is only an issue for
> my customers that use PPP, since I'm connecting to them over that link, if
> something goes wrong...

Didn't someone mention keeping -alias around for a while as a
depreciated, but backward compat flag?  (I think it was Jordan makes
sense to me.)

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        3.0-current