Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:57:32 -0500
From:      "Scott A. Moberly" <smoberly@karamazov.org>
To:        "Weston M. Price" <wmprice@direcway.com>
Cc:        irvine@sanbi.ac.za, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE, sound, artsd and xmms

put:
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
hw.snd.maxautovchans=4

into /etc/sysctl.conf; attach arts to /dev/dsp0.1 and esd to /dev/dsp.2
This leaves /dev/dsp0 -> /dev/dsp0.0 open for odd aplications that
need direct access.  You could additionally attach nas to /dev/dsp0.3 if
you are networking sound.

---
Scott A. Moberly
smoberly@karamazov.org

Microsoft: "Where would you like to go to today"
Linux: "Where would you like to go tomorrow"
FreeBSD: "Hey,when are you guys going to catch up"
On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 08:19:09AM +0000, Weston M. Price wrote:
> Yeah, an extremely frustrating problem to say the least. I have used both
> methods (ie the plugin and artsdsp) and have found that that artsdsp is the
> most stable and effective way to get the two apps to work together on a
> consistet basis. The plugin causes xmms at the drop of a dime. Until the
> plugin gets fixed go with artsdsp.
>
> Regards,
>
> Weston
>
> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 11:59 am, Irvine Short wrote:
> > Hey All
> >
> > How do you guys get all the above to play together?
> >
> > I'd like to keep artsd going. At the moment I can get xmms to play by
> > running artsdsp xmms.
> >
> > Is there a neater/better way? There's a plugin for xmms to talk directly
> > to artsd but by all accounts it's old and buggy and not  in the ports
> > subsystem.
> >
> > Any suggestions much appreciated.
> >
> > I'm running FreeBSD 4.7RX, KDE 3,03, and XMMS 1.2.7
> >
> > The sound card is an Ensoniq AudioPCI ESS1371

Scott A. Moberly
smoberly@karamazov.org

-- Henry Spencer