Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2011 17:22:21 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing X11 gives perl version conflict

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:20:46 -0400
Michael Powell wrote:

> Read /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.perl.mk. I think mostly many of the variables
> contained within may be set in /etc/make.conf and can be picked up at
> build time by make. Particularly interesting were PERL_VERSION,
> PERL_PORT, and USE_PERL, for example. Reading down into the contents
> will point to how the variables get used.

I don't think any of this is very relevant - except as general
background . The problem as I see it is that he is installing packages
that aren't built from the same tree. One of the dependencies of
xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.2 was  built when perl 5.10 was the default and
one after the default switched to perl 5.12.

If building isn't an option then it's better to stick to one release
trees at a time. That still leave the problem to dealing with
vulnerabilities as best you can, but there is not a simple answer.