Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 09:46:54 -0700
From:      Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
To:        Greg Hartrell <greg@infopreneur.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD, Proxy Server, Cable Modem

--------------26EC74778EA3E200BD72E13B

--------------3813B6D2CEFD1C161A4B21F8

Good morning.  We're located in SoCal and use the @Home Network's cable
connection to provide access for our 9-computer lab at home (oops!
almost a pun there).

They tried to "bamboozle" us with that NetBIOS crap out here, too.  In
fact, I had some well-meaning but thoroughly ignorant tech "support"
drone try to teach me about how I couldn't connect using static IP
address assignment; had to use DHCP.  Yeah.  Anyway, here's how it works
for us:

1) on your yellow copy of the account information from @Home, you will
have a "Host Name" assignment that looks something like "cx-87345"; this
needs to be your new machine's "Host Name" as well;
2) make sure you use static IP address assignment; my experience with
@Home is that they can't keep a DHCP (or DNS for that matter) server
running ... maybe because they're an NT shop?

Other than that, everything should work out pretty well for you.  Anyone
have something I missed?

RAB

Good morning.&nbsp; We're located in SoCal and use the @Home Network's
cable connection to provide access for our 9-computer lab at home (oops!
almost a pun there).
In fact, I had some well-meaning but thoroughly ignorant tech "support"
drone try to teach me about how I couldn't connect using static IP address
assignment; had to use DHCP.&nbsp; Yeah.&nbsp; Anyway, here's how it works
for us:
server using my @home connection.&nbsp;&nbsp; Now, @home requires that
a window box has a specific Netbios name for it to properly communicate
noticed you have a number of resources on setting up FreeBSD as a proxy
(TIS, SQUID, etc.) but are there any success stories sharing a cable modem?&nbsp;
I'm perfectly willing to read, read, read.&nbsp; I was just wondering if

--------------3813B6D2CEFD1C161A4B21F8--

--------------26EC74778EA3E200BD72E13B

begin:vcard
n:Bettle;Roy
tel;work:(949) 452-1203
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.criterion-group.com
org:Criterion Group, Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:rbettle@criterion-group.com
title:President
note:Businesses that depend on computers, depend on us.
adr;quoted-printable:;;26895 Aliso Creek Road=0D=0ASuite B404;Aliso Viejo;CA;92656;USA
fn:Bettle, Roy
end:vcard