Date:      Tue, 1 May 2018 23:25:41 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting ZFS pools back.
References:  <5f836c79-b379-f066-689b-1645e393c5e9@digiware.nl> <E3B39DFA-269A-4041-922E-38F0CF35CB9A@gentoo.org> <a7fb7ffc-fa5f-4031-c78a-20e7ba618566@digiware.nl> <CAOtMX2gpuc0ntoxqKJv3iw3x_Dcq99zpcmqE8g%2B2QiDtYPHmZQ@mail.gmail.com> <1645b168-4133-693c-2dd3-8e0606abb9c3@digiware.nl> <07576f68-f67e-3a22-7a50-ff261c9b3fff@digitaldaemon.com> <CANCZdfonKRcFKiV%2BCmCvAQ3O5h%2BuNBcWDW7oyxOhWMdmpDHEcw@mail.gmail.com> <7588abf8-16e4-8820-a0e5-e019a02a7bd6@digiware.nl> <b24f256e-35f9-e557-de5d-719f0fe98f1b@digiware.nl>

On 30/04/2018 12:37, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 29-4-2018 23:20, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> On 29/04/2018 20:21, Warner Losh wrote:
>>>

>>> On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 11:57 AM, Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com
>>> <mailto:jan@digitaldaemon.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On 04/29/2018 13:27, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>>>
>>>         Trouble started when I installed (freebsd-update) 11.1 over a
>>>         running 10.4. Which is sort of scarry?
>>>
>>>     This does sounds 'scary' as I am planning to do this in the (near)
>>>     future...
>>>
>>>     Has anyone else experienced issues like this?
>>>
>>>     Generally I do build the new system software on a running system,
>>>     but then go to single user mode to perform the actual install.
>>>
>>>     I have done many upgrades like that over 18 or so years and never
>>>     seen or heard of an issue alike this.
>>>

>>> 11.x binaries aren't guaranteed to work with a 10.x kernel. So that's
>>> a bit of a problem. freebsd-update shouldn't have let you do that
>>> either.
>>>
>>> However, most 11.x binaries work well enough to at least bootstrap /
>>> fix problems if booted on a 10.x kernel due to targeted forward
>>> compatibility. You shouldn't count on it for long, but it generally
>>> won't totally brick your box. In the past, and I believe this is
>>> still true, they work well enough to compile and install a new kernel
>>> after pulling sources. The 10.x -> 11.x syscall changes are such that
>>> you should be fine. At least if you are on UFS.
>>
>> I have been doing those kind of this for years and years. Even
>> upgrading over NFS and stuff. Sometimes it is a bit too close to the
>> sun and things burn. But never crash this bad.
>>
>>> However, the ZFS ioctls and such are in the bag of 'don't
>>> specifically guarantee and also they change a lot' so that may be why
>>> you can't mount ZFS by UUID. I've not checked to see if there's
>>> specifically an issue here or not. The ZFS ABI is somewhat more
>>> fragile than other parts of the system, so you may have issues here.
>>>
>>> If all else fails, you may be able to PXE boot an 11 kernel, or boot
>>> off a USB memstick image to install a kernel.
>>
>> Tried just about replace everything in both the boot-partition (First
>> growing it to take > 64K gptzfsboot) and in /boot from the memstick.
>> But the error never went away.
>>
>> Never had ZFS die on me this bad, that I could not get it back.
>>
>>> Generally, while we don't guarantee forward compatibility (running
>>> newer binaries on older kernels), we've generally built enough
>>> forward compat so that things work well enough to complete the
>>> upgrade. That's why you haven't hit an issue in 18 years of
>>> upgrading. However, the velocity of syscall additions has increased,
>>> and we've gone from fairly stable (stale?) ABIs for UFS to a more
>>> dynamic one for ZFS where backwards compat is a bit of a crap shoot
>>> and forward compat isn't really there at all. That's likely why
>>> you've hit a speed bump here.
>>
>> Come to think of it, I did not do this step with freebsd-update, since
>> I was not at an official release yet. I was going to 11.1-RELEASE, to
> [...]

Today i found the messages below in my daily report of the server:
+NMI ISA 3c, EISA ff
+NMI ISA 3c, EISA ff
+NMI ISA 3c, EISA ff
+NMI ... going to debugger
+NMI ... going to debugger
+NMI ISA 3c, EISA ff
+NMI ISA 2c, EISA ff
+NMI ... going to debugger
+NMI ... going to debugger
+NMI ISA 2c, EISA ff
+NMI ISA 3c, EISA ff
+NMI ... going to debugger
+NMI ... going to debugger
+NMI ... going to debugger
+NMI ISA 3c, EISA ff
+NMI ... going to debugger

Could these things have anything to do with the problem I had with
trying to find the pools.

--WjW