Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:45:05 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intresting X Question...

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 03:31 pm, Eric Murphy wrote:
> Maybe some body can explain this alittle better then my google
> searchs and other readings.
>
> My question is this: Lets say your installing BSD on some
> workstation, you dont know the hardware specs of the monitor
> (Vertical and Horizontal rates ect..) and you need to
> configure Xorg. Its my understanding that Xorg runs getconfig,
> which determines the video card type and monitor type. Once it
> has that information it applys the information gatherd to the
> xorg config. Is that how it works? I was going to say, it cant
> just test a bunch of differnt monitor rates that could cause
> damage to the monitor.

Most modern monitors respond to Xorg's enquiry over an I2C bus
as to its capabilities.
If this doesn't work then maybe:
* The monitor is too old.
* The monitor doesn't subscribe to the 'standards'.
* Somehow the I2C bus is not working.
* The monitor manufacturer was overly optermistic when setting
up the information base for reporting over I2C

It is not a trial and error situation.

Malcolm