Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:42:59 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and GCC

On 2004-10-20 13:52, Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:01:07 +0100, Michael Walker wrote:
> >
> > I'm not to familiar with what goes on behind the scenes during the FreeBSD
> > install process. So please forgive me if this is a dumb question.
> > Is there any way to install FreeBSD without gcc and later build from the
> > ports tree, to enable me to keep upto date with the gcc project releases.
> >
> > Like I said, I don't know if this is possible, but any replies are
> > gratefully accepted.
>
> Nopes its not possible. However you can very well use the gcc present
> in the port and use the knob to overwirte the system compiler although
> that is not recommended.

It's possible to install the gcc-3.5 port under /usr/local and then set CC
appropriately in your environment.  This will let select programs build with
the newer gcc but will keep the system compiler unchanged.

Overwriting the system compiler might be a serious problem, especially if the
newly installed proves to be buggy and in need of a replacement but is unable
to complete a full buildworld cycle.  You would then have to reinstall the
entire system from the original installation media!

P.S.: Please do not top-post and trim the quoted material to a 'reasonable'
length without losing important context of the original post :-)