Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 1995 08:31:46 +0300
From:      "Andrew A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@morton.cdrom.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: playmidi?

In message <199502140336.TAA00920@morton.cdrom.com> Jordan K. Hubbard
    writes:

>First he played a wav file, so I played a wav file.  No big deal.
>Then he plays an Amiga mod file, and I do too (the `tracker' program
>is pretty cool - thanks Andrew! :).  Then he plays a MIDI file and
>I'm lost.  Ummm.  Geeze, how do I play midi files?  My SB16 here at
>work supports the snd7 device (midi), though unfortunately the AWE32
>box at home does not (can't even see a midi device at 0x300 - strange!).
>Even with a working snd7, however, I would still not be able to play
>midi files since there's no player to speak of! :-(  Just cat'ing the
>midi file to the /dev/midi device doesn't work - sounds interesting,
>but doesn't work! :-)

Really, /dev/midi related to midi playing only a bit :-)
Kernel driver not able to play midi at all.

One of midi players (similar to tracker) should be ported.
I remember, I port one for 1.x. Right now I don't have
2.x box with soundcard to re-port it again, maybe later.

--
Andrew A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -