Date:      Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:17:47 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@woodcruft.co.uk>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Firefox: firefox dies quietly. How to debug?

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 05:55:46PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Am Mon, 12 Sep 2016 16:54:50 +0200
> Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> schrieb:
>
> > On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 16:26:45 +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:

> > > The intention is to autologin a user and start via xinit a X11 session
> > > with Firefox. So far. Autologin works, I can start the X11/wmaker
> > > session and also open xterm, xpdf as clients. But I can not start
> > > firefox or libreoffice - they die quietly.
> > >
> > > I do not see anything in the X11 logs nor do I see logs on the console
> > > telling me something irregularyly has happened. I tried to look for some
> > > "verbosity" flags on firefox, but I didn't find anything suitable.
> > >
> > > Does someone here know how to make firefox a bit more verbose?
> >
> > One of the easiest ways is to start Firefox from inside a
> > regular X terminal (classic xterm program works fine) to
> > capture possible text output (if nothing is logged in the
> > file ~/.xsession-errors, or if there is "too much noise"
> > inside that file to determine what messages belong to the
> > Firefox startup process).
>
> Firefox is started manually while I develop and configure, so I already have
> a xterm open and start firefox from within. The curious thing is, that there
> is no ~/.xsession-errors nor is there any other type of output (even no
> console, no /var/log/messages).

$ firefox -h

shows the args you can start Firefox with, some of which might be useful to
you.

Failing that, I'd probably fire an email off in the direction of gecko@ and
ask them how they go about debugging it.

Starting off with a fresh Firefox profile might be worth a try, if you're not
doing that already.

> > For a more verbose output, run "truss firefox" in xterm.
> > This should provide you a good impression of what's happening.
> >

> I'll try this next time, thanks for the tipp.
>
> Greetings,
> Oliver

Regards,

--