Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:09:17 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        nathan <beemern@ksu.edu>
Cc:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pop mail security

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 09:42:26AM -0600, nathan wrote:

> WOW... that kinda sucks...

That's true.

> in that case.. i'm just gonna disable logins for that user, so all it is is
> a mail account... and setup a different account to do all my remote admin
> stuff..

You could probably use different accounts for e-mail or handle e-mail
passwords in a separate password database which is apart from /etc/passwd
and has nothing to do with telnet passwords.

BTW, doing telnet your password and all data is also transmitted unsecured,
also when entering the passwort using rlogin/rsh or ftp.

For solving this, SSH will be your friend. You will need some SSH client on
the machine you are connecting from and SSH on the server. While the last
thing is no problem with FreeBSD (I've set up UUCP over SSH some days ago),
SSH tunnels from a Windows box could be somewhat difficult, but I read
articles on the FreeBSD mailing lists a while ago that the software for
this is available and working.

Regards,

Martin
--
,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities, if you're knowing to take them,
        you know, there's a lot of opportunities, if there aren't