Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:47:54 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        paulo@nlink.com.br, never@nevermind.kiev.ua, gavin@ury.york.ac.uk, boland@alexander.diva.nl, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE -> 4.5-RELENG

> Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:12:08 +0200
> From: Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:08:49 -0700
> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote:
>
> KO> Doing a mergemaster -p here simply is the same as not running it at
> KO> all. From the mergemaster man page:
>
> 	The one and only time I have seen it do anything was after buildworld
> and before installworld - I read UPDATING and not the man page :)
>
> KO>      -p          Pre-buildworld mode.  Compares only files known to be essen-
> KO>                  tial to the success of {build|install}world, including
> KO>                  /etc/make.conf.
> KO>
> KO> So it is clearly intended to be run BEFORE buildworld.
>
> 	I have to agree that this seems pretty clear - so now I am inclined
> to ask if there is any reason why this phase cannot be placed after
> buildworld - I can't see anything in mergemaster itself that assumes the
> world has not yet been huilt.

I shouldn't speak for the Doug Barton's intent, but it appears that he
designed -p as a catch-all of merges that must be done at any time
before the normal post-install mergemaster run.

In the case that created this option, running it before installworld
would do the trick nicely. I suspect he simply wanted to generalize it
in case something needed to be done even before buildworld would
work. (It seems possible that this might be the case when the upgrade
to 5.0 comes down the pike.)

So, the reality is that -p is ALMOST never required. I have never used
it. But it is needed for systems that are not kept pretty stable to
handle the new sendmail and may be needed again, some day, even before
building world. So it's probably wisest to try it before building
world and deciding if you want to install any of the changes it tries
before building/installing world.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)