Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2013 23:55:21 +0200
From:      "Michael Ross" <gmx@ross.cx>
To:        "FBSD Doc project" <doc@freebsd.org>, "Gabor Kovesdan" <gabor.kovesdan@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: CFR: documentation rendered in PDF with FOP

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:38:24 +0200, Gabor Kovesdan
<gabor.kovesdan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on new rendering solutions for our documentation. One
> renderer will be dblatex, which doesn't depend on Java but doesn't give
> such high quality output. The other one will be FOP, which is written is
> Java but produces better quality.
>
> Here are some PDFs for review, rendered with Apache FOP:
> http://kovesdan.org/files/fop/
>
> I need suggestions for royalty-free print-quality Bengali, Greek and
> Cyrillic fonts since these are still not customized and the default
> fonts lack non-Latin glyphs.
>
> Apart from this, any comments are welcome. I know some parts still need
> improvements but feel free to comment on anything you think that should
> be changed.
>
> Gabor

Hello,

I just skimmed through the pdf of the german version of the developer's
handbook and noticed some problems with syllabification at the end of
lines.

Examples:
	filename "fromboz.c" printed as
		from-
		boz.c

	"/usr/share/mk" printed as
		/
		share/mk

	"Option -o" printed as
		Option -

 From the english version:
	"<des@FreeBSD.org>" printed as
		<des@FreeB-
		SD.org>

Plus, in some paragraphs nearly all lines end with a hyphen; I think that
makes the whole hard to read.

If possible, I would turn syllabification off altogether.

Regards,

Michael