Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:43:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   repeat: pci problem w/ de0 NIC

OK, let me try to explain this differently.

-using 2.2.8-Release (the latest thing I have on CD)
-building network gateway (LAN/cable modem service)

I have found little in the archive or FAQ to help me thus far, at least
little that made much sense to me.  I am trying to install a pci NIC as
de0 (it's a GFC2204 which is compatible with the DEC21x4x supposedly).

1.  Is there a better driver, perhaps a DEC22x4x driver, available (at a
later release perhaps)?

2.  according to /stand/help/hardware.hlp.gz the de0 driver cannot
determine port, IRQ, DRQ, or IOMem address.  Does this mean that I have to
specify this information in the kernel config?

2b) if so, I know it is at IRQ 11 and the BIOS tells me it is using Mem
    address of 1000-107F; what is the device line going to look like?

3.  dmesg gives me the following:

pci0:13: vendor=0x1256, device=0x1400, class network (ethernet) int a irq
11 [no driver assigned]

What exactly does this tell me/what does it mean?

Any leads on any of the above are much appreciated: RTFMs, FAQs, whatever

thanks

--Steve