Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:00:30 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnode::v_op bugfix / PERFORCE change 8574 for review (fwd)

At 6:27 PM -0500 3/28/02, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
>Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com> wrote:
>  > I concur with your suggestion below that the new patch
>  > is a better approach. Your ideal solution below sounds
>  > reasonable though I have not thought it through completely.
>
>I really, really hate the idea that the machine will panic
>without warning if the number of vnode ops to be used
>becomes greather than the statically-defined limit.  Isn't
>there some truly generic solution?

A previous message said new vnode-ops are very rare.  I
do not know what would trigger them, but I will note that
one of the things I can brag about with freebsd is that
I have a freebsd machine running a production service
here which has now been up for 437 consecutive days.  Are
these events rare enough that I would never have to worry
about ending an uptime-streak because of too many of them?