Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 12:09:52 +0200
From:      Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker@fast.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3ware & mysql, again

Mike Smith writes:

 > > I recall something about this on another FreeBSD list a week or so ago.
 > > Supposedly there is a firmware update available that fixes this problem.
 >
 > It's not clear whether Raymond is talking about the same symptoms or not
 > (as he doesn't clarify this).  It's not certain that 3ware have actually
 > fixed the problem yet; last I heard they were still working on it.

	Hum. Ok. The actual error messages (from dmesg and
/var/log/messages) were of the form
"twe0: command failed - device failure". At this point it was
impossible to do *anything* to the filesystem(s) on the disks
connected to the 3ware controller.

	(I have seen something similar a good few years back, with a
particular Seagate SCSI disk model. Not that this is relevant, though.)

	I've looked at 3Ware's web site, and they claim that the new
firmware (version 6.6) fixes certain problems with RAID 5
configurations. My configuration is RAID 0, so it is entirely possible
that the new firmware will have no effect for me.

	Version 6.6 supposedly requires an updated driver - is the
driver in -stable so updated? If so, I'll go ahead and backup my data
and upgrade the firmware.

	//Raymond.

--
Raymond Wiker