Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:55:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        warendaj@comcast.net (J.M. Warenda)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm probably overlooking something really stupid but...

>     ...sometimes you need to just ask to see if you overlooked
> something obvious.
>
>     I'm running a FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE box as my natd gateway for my
> home LAN and lately it's been reporting that /var is full ... df
> reports it at 107% capacity but du doesn't reveal what's filling it up.
>
>     I had once had apache fill /var because of some trojan trying IIS
> attacks on my apache server, but I've since disabled Apache so, it's
> not that! Only other things running are ftpd, telnetd, and sshd ...
> plus ezbounce (so I can ident on EFNet from machines behind the
> gateway), natd, and xchat under X.
>
>     Any thoughts on what might be filling var?  I ran fsck -f and that
> didn't reveal anything.

Did you look and see which files are getting so big in /var ?
- eg cd to /var and do  'du -sk *'   and go down a directory or so if needed,
 such as if it is in /var/log find out which file in /log is so big and then
look in it and see what the log messages are.  Or if it is in spool, see
which file is big and it will give you an idea of what is getting stuck.

that would get you started for places to look anyway.

////jerry