Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:51:05 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Gil Binder <Admin@ZoneServ.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - Linux / Unix ?

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:18:49PM +0200, Gil Binder wrote:
> Hey there,
> I am a FreeBSD user, I have a debate with someone about FreeBSD.
> And I would like you to answer our little debate, FreeBSD is:
> A.      Linux

FreeBSD is most certainly not Linux.

> B.      Unix

That depends on how you define Unix.
>From a legal point of view FreeBSD does not qualify as a Unix system,
but from a practical/historical point of view it probably does.
See http://www.opengroup.org to find out what is required to be allowed
to call an OS UNIX.

> C.      Something else ( Tell us what ;P )

It is an operating system that is descended from V7 Unix.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson