Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:45:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 on Alpha

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, [iso-8859-1] Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> des@des.no (Dag-Erling Smørgrav) writes:
> > PWS 600au, yesterday's sources.  The new loader runs fine, but the new
> > kernel won't boot with either the old or the new loader.
>
> For good measure, I tested a freshly-built GENERIC kernel as well.  It
> just hangs:
>
> > OK boot GENERIC -s
> > /boot/GENERIC/kernel data=0x54cd70+0x4d140 syms=[0x8+0x62bb0+0x8+0x519c5]
> > Entering /boot/GENERIC/kernel at 0xfffffc0000347050...
>
> No "unexpected exception/interrupt", I had to power-cycle the box.

I experienced the same sympthoms when installkernel gave me a
new kernel, but no device.hints, which is required for the new
serial console code in 5.3.

You're probably fighting different daemons, but letting people
know that they need device.hinsts on alpha to get 5.3 booting
properly would be handy.

It's on the mailinglist now for starters :).

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem