Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:34:35 -0800
From:      Michelle Weeks <tristan11@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   upgrading sendmail from ports was Re: Sendmail patch questions...

--Apple-Mail-2--216601141
	delsp=yes;
	charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed

I would like to upgrade sendmail from the ports collections.  However,
I have been using sendmail 8.12.6 from the base install of freebsd
4.6.2 release and I believe that installing sendmail from the ports
collection will add files to
/usr/local rather then /usr where sendmail is currently located.  From
the research I've done after I install sendmail from the ports
collection, I will need to add the following lines to sendmail.mc file:

define(`confEBINDIR', `/usr/local/libexec')dnl
define(`UUCP_MAILER_PATH', `/usr/local/bin/uux')dnl

as well as change the mailer.conf file.

Am I missing any other steps?  Any help would be greatly appreciated
since this is my first attempt at upgrading sendmail.

Thank you,
Michelle

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 06:43 AM, Peter Elsner wrote:

> Step by step instructions
>
> ftp sendmail.org
> login anonymously
> cd pub/sendmail
> get sendmail-8.12.8.tar.gz
> quit
> tar xvzf sendmail-8.12.8.tar.gz
> cd sendmail-8.12.8
> ./Build
> ./Build install
>
> kill -1 (SIGHUP) sendmail
>
> You're now upgraded....
>

> At 08:53 PM 3/3/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 05:49:50PM -0600, Mike Loiterman wrote:

>> > Just applied the patch to /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/src
>> >
>> > I'm running sendmail 8.11.6
>> >

>> > 1.  Is this the correct location for the patch?
>> > 2.  Do I need to do a `make world' or can I just do a make install
>> from with the /usr/src/contrib/sendmail directory and restart
>> sendmail?
>> >
>> > Thanks...
>>

>> I'm also running 8.11.6.  I installed the correct patch from
>> sendmail.org
>> but haven't figured out how to get it to compile.  The README says:
>>
>> *********************
>> !! DO NOT USE MAKE !!  in this directory to compile sendmail --
>> *********************  instead, use the "Build" script located in
>> the sendmail directory.
>>
>> However, there is no "Build" script.
>>
>> Now what?

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

> -----------------------------------
> Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
> Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
> 1835 S. Carrier Parkway
> Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
> (972) 263-2080 - Voice
> (972) 263-2082 - Fax
> (972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
> (425) 988-8061 - eFax
>
> I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
> too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
> that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
> were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
> -- Mike Godwin
>
> Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.
> System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to
> do it.
> If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
> pretend you don't know me.
>
> Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.

--Apple-Mail-2--216601141

the ports collections.  However, I have been using sendmail 8.12.6
from the base install of freebsd 4.6.2 release and I believe that
installing sendmail from the ports collection will add files to

/usr/local rather then /usr where sendmail is currently located.  From
the research I've done after I install sendmail from the ports
collection, I will need to add the following lines to sendmail.mc file:

define(`confEBINDIR', `/usr/local/libexec')dnl

define(`UUCP_MAILER_PATH', `/usr/local/bin/uux')dnl

as well as change the mailer.conf file.

Am I missing any other steps?  Any help would be greatly appreciated
since this is my first attempt at upgrading sendmail.

Thank you,

Michelle

</fontfamily>On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 06:43 AM, Peter Elsner