Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:49:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel option NBUF, what does ist means?

Dear Sirs.
For non kernel developer the additional options in LINT for kernel
configuration are little secrets and it is said, that some of them
could 'tweak' a standard kernel to be more powerful when getting
tweaked and the system it runs on is to be a server (I read some
articles about Linux vs. FreeBSD in a German magazine and it has been
mentioned that tweaking makes FreeBSD faster for serving purposes).

One of the secret parameters seems to be NBUFS. it is set to 512 in
LINT, I set it to 4096 this time to see whats going on. Can anyone
offer me a hint on this parameter?

For servers which are accessed as SAMBA and Webservers, what parameters
are worth to be watched and set?
What parameters (those are not explained) are useful for machines which
should act as number crunchers?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

-