Date:      Mon, 26 May 2003 08:47:49 -0500
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise IDE RAID problems (UDMA33)

> >>I have a problem with my Promise TX2000 controller, and probably an
> SX6000. >>The run UDMA33 insted of UDMA6 (Promise configuration) - well
> at least
>Are you sure Len?

of course not.  Is absoluat clairvoyant certitue a requirement for posting?

>Maybe this guy used an old ATA33 cable not knowing the difference

He said "I used the IDE cables that was with the controller" and that had
tried another set of ATA133 cables.   Sounds to me like he knows that
ATA133 are special and required.

>or the discs are old ATA33??

I looked up the model number reported by the hardware probe, and that's a
133  drive.

>I really would like to know the trick you use to see the color of a cable
>just by reading a mail!

I really would like to know if you have any constructive suggestions to
offset your smartass, condescending criticisms.

>If you are writing to this list, you are supposed to have basic knowledge
>about your machinery.

really? is that on the FreeBSD list sign-up prerequisites? Or do you
flatter yourself with your list membership?

>I think Gorm has checked his cables.

It sounds like he has the right cables, but he didn't indicate that he had
respected that the ATA highs-speed cables are not end-to-end reversible.

>By the way, this topic and the same brand was up last week. My TX4 has
>the same problem and trust me, if you work as sysadmin, you check your
>cables before writing here.

btw, with an "Ultra 133 TX2", we had exactly the same symptoms he did on a
machine I was helping a remote client with on a machine built-to our specs
by an integrator.  When we opened the 1U box, the client found the correct
cables but reversed.  We reversed the cables (with great difficulty because
the middle connector in the cable fell exactly at a small pass-thru hole in
bulkhead panel, suggesting probably why the integrator didn't install the
cables correctly) and the hardware reported "133" immediately.

Thanks for helping, Gorm.  Stick the upper end up of your body up your
lower end, but first ask someone which end is which.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training: Denver; New York; Seattle
IMGate.MEIway.com: anti-spam gateway, effective on 1000's of sites, free