Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:19:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        webmaster@countrypure.net (Quintin Riis)
Cc:        Stephen Liu <satimis@icare.com.hk>
Subject:   Re: Tar command and OpenOffice 1.1 question

> Try `man tar', then reply if you still have questions.
>
> 		Quintin
>
> Stephen Liu wrote:
> | Hi all folks,
> |
> | I have following packages download from OpenOffice site to a folder in
> 'user'
> | directory;
> |
> | /home/user/download/
> | en-ooodict-GB-1.2.tgz
> | openoffice-1.1.0_1.tbz
> |
> | 1) Can I use following command to extract OOo1.1 tarball to a designated
> | directory;
> |
> | # cd /home/user/download/
> | # tar jxvf openoffice-1.1.0_1.tbz -C /usr/share
> |
> | 2) Is tar command and its tags on FBSD same as Linux
> |
> | 3) Is /usr/ an ideal diretory for OOo1.1 to be extracted to
> |
> | 4) Can I use following command to extract the dictionary tarball
> |
> | # cd /home/user/download/
> | # tar zxvf en-ooodict-GB-1.2.tgz -C /usr/share/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/

I am presuming you have downloaded the appropriate binary install
from Openoffice.
Put the file in /usr/local
Do not unroll the file with tar
and run  psk-add on it    pkg-add openoffice-1.1.0_1.tbz

During the process it will ask where you want to install it and you
can choose something a little shorter than .../openoffice-1.1.0_1
if you want, but since you will have all the utilities in your path
and so won't have to use that long name all the time, it doesn't
really matter.   Best to leave the base path as /usr/local though.
Wherever you have put /usr/local and symlinked it if you have, is OK.

////jerry