Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:19:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Pierre Weis <pierre.weis@inria.fr>
To:        anderson@centtech.com (Eric Anderson)
Cc:        w8hdkim@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: laptop for -current

[...]
> I'm using a Dell D600, and it's excellent..
>
> Eric
>
> --
> Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
> Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

I'm also running -current on a Dell laptop (a Precision M60 with the
large (1920x1200 pixels) screen). It works pretty well, although not
perfectly: I have not managed to have ACPI working properly and I have
problems with the Nvidia driver (I had to revert to the XFree nv
driver to get X running). Also, the FireFox port can be compiled and
installed but the resulting program core dumps too often to be
usable. This may be because I'm using a cutting edge X-server from XFree86
(version 4.4.99.9); anyway, I am now obliged to use Netscape which is
not my browser of choice :(

On the other hand, the OS is rock solid and all the sub-systems work
perfectly: USB1, USB2, FireWire, PC-cards, CD/RW/DVD reader,
Bluetooth, the Broadcom NICs (either the 10/100/1000 Mb/s wired
ethernet, or the 802.11 a/b/g wireless card)!

To my knowledge, this OS is the best fit for this machine :)

Also, the machine itself is excellent: it runs fast, has a silent and
fast hard disk and the screen is a dream. This laptop is just a bit
heavy to carry and it pumps the battery way too quickly (in my case, 2
hours and a half is enough to dry it up).

In conclusion: a very good OS/machine combination, that would be
excellent if only the ACPI system could slow down the processor and
put the machine asleep...

Hope this helps,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/