Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:00:20 -0500
From:      "Ne'Bahn" <business.oriented@gmail.com>
To:        "UNIX - questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Install via ports...

Hi list, I've read the handbook for ports, basically (if I understand) ports
are files that brings information (location, dependencies) to the system to
compile a series of files (sources) to have the final piece of software.
Very nice with the advantages that comes with this type of installation,
but, what about a big applications like Gnome, OpenOffice and so on. I can't
try ports because I can't have a fast/long connection for downloads (due to
some restrictions on my country) so I always install via packages, and it
takes a while, well a little bit. So what I am asking if is anyone has test
a Gnome, OpenOffice.org, or any other big installations via ports (say in a
Pentium 4 2.8GHz HT with 512Mb RAM) can tell me the elapsed time ??? Just
curious...thanks in advance.