Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:10:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        George Stamatiou <master@xchat.gr>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, George Stamatiou wrote:

> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:33:54 +0300
> From: George Stamatiou <master@xchat.gr>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: mount
>
> hello. how can i mount my first hard disk drive and my cd ?
>
> Thanks

Well, the installer should have created an entry for your CD-ROM in the
filesystem table /etc/fstab. On this box it's entry looks like:

[johnnyb@picard johnnyb]$ grep cdrom /etc/fstab
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

So to mount a CD, I put the CD in the player and type:

[johnnyb@picard johnnyb]$ mount /cdrom
cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Operation not permitted
[johnnyb@picard johnnyb]$ su
Password:
picard# mount /cdrom
picard# mount
/dev/ad0s2a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s2f on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s2g on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s2e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
janeway:/data/network on /network (nfs)
/dev/acd0c on /cdrom (cd9660, local, read-only)

I left the permissions error in there as you may see it. You may need to
be the superuser to mount the disk. For the drive you're trying to mount,
you need to know what its filesystem is and if the kernel knows it is
there:

picard# dmesg | grep ad0
ad0: 57241MB <ST360021A> [116301/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a

and if you look in my filesystem table for the hard disk entries:

picard# cat /etc/fstab
# See the fstab(5) manual page for important information on automatic
mounts
# of network filesystems before modifying this file.
#
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0s2f             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2g             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
janeway:/data/network   /network        nfs     rw              0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

You can see then entry for the drive partitions (/dev/ad0 is partitioned
for FreeBSD).

The fstab(5) and mount(8) man pages are very elucidating, the the FreeBSD
handbook has a section on working with disks:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mount-unmount.html

For further help with the 'first drive' as you call it, please send the
output from dmesg.

HTH - JB

The FreeBSD Handbook is your friend :-)

/*