Date:      Sun, 31 May 2020 16:56:58 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <freebsd@cyclaero.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone AI

> Am 31.05.2020 um 14:11 schrieb Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>:
>=20
> On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 23:21 -0300, Dr. Rolf Jansen wrote:
>>=20
>> First Question:
>>=20
>> What modern SBC with more than 1 I=C2=B2C bus and which can run =
FreeBSD 13++ would you suggest?
>>=20
>>=20
>> Two more Questions:
>>=20
>> Is it reasonable to assume that FreeBSD would run on a BBAI in the =
future, let=E2=80=99s say in 2 to 3 years?
>>=20
>> Perhaps I could help porting FreeBSD to a BBAI. What would be the =
general steps?
>>=20
>>=20
>> Many thanks in advance for any suggestions, advices and =
clarifications.
>>=20
>> Best regards
>>=20
>> Rolf
>=20
> BTW, if you need drivers for any new i2c devices just let me know and
> I'll see what I can do.

I am pretty comfortable with register level programming, and so far I =
came away with ioctl() calls for what I needed. So perhaps I won=E2=80=99t=
 need exactly a driver for new I=C2=B2C devices. However, I am far away =
from being a perfect I=C2=B2C expert, specially when it comes to timing =
and the best sequence of addressing different devices on the bus. =
Perhaps, I may ask some questions when I run into problems.

> Also, in my experience you can often get away with running an i2c bus
> faster than 400khz if you need more bandwidth.  I've never seen any
> modern chip fail to work at 800khz, and most seem to work fine up to
> about 1mhz; above that they become pretty unreliable.

Does this =E2=80=9Eover clocking=E2=80=9C work for the ARM boards as =
well? I just set the clock-frequency in the dts-overlay which activates =
I2C1 of the BBB from 400000 to 800000. The bus seems to work as usual, =
however, I did not yet come to check its speed. How again would I do =
that? Probably there are many more questions to come :-)

Best regards

Rolf=