Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 97 11:05:00 CDT
From:      "Richard H. Gumpertz" <rhg@CPS.com>
To:        tweten@frihet.com
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEC 6030X, FreeBSD 2.2.2, and the CDROM

> I was trying to solve my problem the hard way.  I was accepting the disk
> device name change and looking for a way to cope with it.  One of the many
> times I inserted and removed the CD drive this evening, I noticed a tiny slide
> switch on the back, labeled with an "S" on one side and with an unreadable
> smudge on the other.  It was set to smudge.  After switching it to "S," the
> device probe turned into
>
> 	wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> 	wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DMCA-21440>
> 	wd0: 1378MB (2822400 sectors), 2800 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> 	wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1402B/15967, removable, intr, iordis
> 	wcd0: 1033Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable tray
>
> Problem solved.  Thank you for inspiring me.  Sometimes all one needs is to
> talk (or type) about it.

In other words, smudge probably said something like M (for master) and you
needed S (for slave).  The CD was responding to the same commands as the HD...

 |Richard H. Gumpertz rhg@CPS.COM  VOICE: (913) 642-1777  FAX: (913) 642-8777|
 |Computer Problem Solving 4518 W 89th St, Ste 220, Prairie Vlg KS 66207-2293|