Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 2010 11:48:13 +0200
From:      Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ugly output of wait_for_pids with kill(1) builtin

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 01:03:37PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 06/08/10 14:45, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:
> > I'm experimenting with making kill an sh(1) builtin (*).

> > However, this
> > makes wait_for_pids's output ugly: the kill builtin is too fast and
> > almost always detects the process is still running or a zombie, so the
> > Waiting for PIDS message appears for all daemons.

> I'm guessing it only appears very briefly, right? I'm also not sure what
> you mean by "too fast" here. The sending of the kill command happens in
> _run_rc_killcmd, not wait_for_pids.

They both use kill, _run_rc_killcmd to send a signal, and wait_for_pids
to see if the process is gone.

> It's probably also worth mentioning that out of 8 services that get
> stopped at shutdown time I currently get the "waiting for pids" message
> for 2-4 of them already, so I'm not sure what it is that you're
> concerned about.

> > Any ideas how to avoid this?

> I'm not sure why you're concerned about the "Waiting for PIDS" message,
> is your only issue that you find it aesthetically unappealing?

The aesthetics are only a minor concern. The main problem is that when
the waiting for pids message appears, there is a delay of at least one
second. If this happens for a few services, the shutdown is delayed
considerably.

I know that syncing disks takes like ten seconds even when it has
almost nothing to do, but that is a separate bug that should also be
fixed.

> > One such option would be some sort of modification to pwait(1).

> What are you suggesting?

Something involving the NOTE_REAP mentioned by rwatson and a timeout
option in pwait(1) perhaps.

--
Jilles Tjoelker