Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:39:23 -0700
From:      Bradford Castalia <Castalia@idaeim.com>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: acroread7-7.0.0

--------------060005070803080204090201

The problem doesn't seem to be with the password database entry.
Though I was sure that I updated the new system database
correctly, using pwd_mkdb, using a copy of the master.passwd
file from the pre-upgrade system, your point is well taken. So
I built a little program (attached) to test and confirm that
the database has the correct, accessible, information. It
exercises both getpwuid and getpwuid_r with the results:

getpwuid found an entry: username castalia, UID 100
getpwuid_r found an entry: username castalia, UID 100

Since acroread is a Linux application I was wondering if there
is an issue with obtaining password database information from
from the Linux runtime environment.

At any rate, the situation seems to point at a problem with the
password database or access to it. So I ran vipw and made an
insignificant change to my gcos field, knowing that vipw would
"do the right thing" to generate a valid password database for
the system. After doing this acroread7 works just fine for me.

Working with black boxes ("security by obscurity"), though
convenient, can be very frustrating when something goes amiss.

Being a foil for my thinking about the problem helped a lot.
Thanks for your patience.

Bradford Castalia

"Build an image in your mind, fit yourself into it."