Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 1996 12:15:13 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        chx0@mail.opensol.com.ar (CHX0)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internal modem question

CHX0 stands accused of saying:

> I've hooked an internal modem to a 2.1.0 freebsd box as COM3. Any
> attempts to "cu" the modem and set its registers were unsuccessful. I
> want to use it for uucp or as dialup terminal.
>
> I've tried putting a line in /etc/ttys that says
>
> ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on
>
> and tried "cu -l cuaa2" without success. Any "cu" to every /dev/cu* device
> yields the same message, for example:
>
> cu: open (/dev/cuaa0): Device not configured
> cu: cuaa0: Line in use
>
> I have under /dev cuaa0 to cuaa3, cuaia0 to cuaia3 and cuala0 to cuala3, and
> have tried them all.
>
> Anybody knows how to proceed ?

Boot with -c, say 'flags sio2 0x80', then 'quit', and send us the probe
messages for sio2.

You can get at them after the ssytem has booted with the 'dmesg' command.

I suspect your internal modem is failing to respond quickly enough to be
probed; this is a common fault which reflects very poorly on the
modem's manufacturer.