Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 22:52:58 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@ad1440.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Credit where it's due

On Tue, 02 May 2000 at 16:36:41 -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Dear -doc'ers:

Hi Sean,

> I've trusted and ran FreeBSD for years now, and although I can't
> contribute much back financially, I've written a couple chapters for
> the handbook to help clear my karmic debt.
>
> I've looked over Jim Mock's restructuring of my printing chapter, and
> I certainly appreciate what he's done.  As an ex-professional writer
> and BS-degree holder in Technical Communication, I know the value of
> outside editing, and I think he's done a nice job.  However, I
> maintain that I'm the *author* of that document.  Yet nowhere is my
> name mentioned that I wrote that text.  And most of the text is
> unchanged!

This has happened with a few other chapters as well -- there was no
real reason behind it, some chapters just sort of ended up that way.

> I realize it sounds petty, but having my name on that chapter was
> quite valuable to me.  When applying for new contract writing jobs, I
> refer people to that chapter via its URL.  I've received a lot of
> kudos for it (before it was restructured and updated), and I think
> it's an accurate reflection of my skills as a writer.
>
> So, I want to know: is this the new policy for documentation
> submitted to the FreeBSD project?  Whoever last edits it gets complete
> credit?

No, it's not.  A lot of the editing was rushed due to lack of time and
stuff got removed that shouldn't have been.

For those of you whose names were removed.. feel free to add them back
in (if you have commit privs) or let me know what should be where and
I'll take care of it.

- jim

--
- jim mock - walnut creek cdrom/freebsd test labs - jim@luna.cdrom.com -