Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:59:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS problems due to getcwd/realpath

Dear Ian,

thanks a lot for your answer! (I was searching the bug reports but didn't
find bin/6658...).

Are you really sure about the following?

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Ian Dowse wrote:

> This should no longer be an issue with FreeBSD 3.x, as the system normally
> uses the new _getcwd syscall. The old code is still in getcwd.c, but is
> only used if the syscall isn't present (e.g. if running a 3.x executable
> on a 2.2 system).

The CVS log for getcwd says:

1.11 Sun Sep 14 16:57:16 1997 UTC by phk
Diffs to 1.10

Add __getcwd() syscall, and have getcwd() take a shot at it.
If your kernel doesn't support __getcwd() or if __getcwd() cannot
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
deliver because of cache expiry, it does the canonical thing.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So you say this never can happen? (The code of getcwd explicitly handles
that case, at least as I understand it, and I can't tell from the kernel
sources...)

If so, one sould close my own bug report (kern/12609)
Do you know whom sould I send an email to do that?
Or is a followup enough?

If not so, one should change the canonical part of getcwd as in your
patch...

best regards and thanks for the patch..
	Jan