Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 11:49:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Derevyanko Alexandr Evgenievich <der@pc759.cs.msu.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to do after hard disk crash ?

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Derevyanko Alexandr Evgenievich wrote:
> Few days ago on my host (Freebsd 2.2.6, 486dx 24Mg) on the hard disk
> (SAMSUNG WNR-31601A 1600MB) the bad sectors was detected. Fortunately, it
> happends on /home partition (last 500 Mb of drive), where not so much
> usefull stuff exists (it's a proxy and mail server).
> I make a
> 	$ bad144  -sv wd0
> several times, and it seems to found all bad blocks.
> But the fsck hangs (and whole system too) after several questions like
>
> Cannot read block XXXX. CONTINUE y/n?
>
> and on the console printed some warnings about
> soft and hard reading errors.
>
> May be, i forgot something to do ?
> What's the usual way to fix the bad blocks problem ?

Install a new drive :(

> Can i at least extract some data from this drive ?

It sounds like you have /home as a separate filesystem so you
should be able to boot into single user mode ( -s at the boot: prompt )
Once you're in single user you can mount the other filesystems.  Don't
mount /home

Since you say the system hung I'll guess all the other FS are dirty
so you'll need to fsck them first.  Try

# fsck -y /
# mount -u /
# fsck -y /usr
# mount /usr
# fsck -y /var
# mount /var

The above is just a typical list, use your file systems.  Then
edit /etc/fstab and comment out the entry for /home and then
bring the system up.

# ^D

The system will come up without /home, recover what you can.
You could skip the step of editing /etc/fstab as long as you
stay in single user while recovering.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com