Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2018 06:52:02 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xstr, mkstr

--------
In message <31b491de-ac5e-ca0f-5f84-96cfa7c02699@FreeBSD.org>, Bryan Drewe=
ry wr
ites:

>On the otherhand I don't see the point in removing something that isn't
>harming anything, is not worth talking about in terms of size or build
>time, and is unlikely to need maintenance.

Source code is a liability, it is not an investment.

If the code is useless and not part of a published API, then it should
be removed.

>This argument of "not useful" is a bit subjective. Is cut useful when we
>have awk? I won't go on.

cut(1) & awk(1) are both part of the published API, so that comparison get=
you nowhere.

-- =

FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe    =

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence=
.