Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:42:45 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Chris Owen" <ChrisJ.Owen@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Query

"Chris Owen" <ChrisJ.Owen@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I am really confused about the concept of FreeBSD. I know it is for
> server use, which is what I want, but wht do I download to get it
> working. I am running an AMD Athlon system NOT 64 bit. Please help me.
> Do you have an idiots guide?

Please wrap your lines around 72 characters.

While the other answers were good, I wanted to answer you more
directly.

Non-64-bit AMD systems use the same version of FreeBSD as 32-bit Intel
systems do, the i386 version.

You can purchase CDs from several locations online, as well as many
retail stores carry them.  Make sure you get 4.10, as this is the
best version for new users at this time.  If you have a fast net
connection and a CD burner, you can also download from here:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.10/

The miniinst is all you really need, but the disc1 image has some
extras that are nice as well.  Disc2 isn't required, but has some
more extras on it.

These are CD _images_, do not burn them as files.  Your burning
software will have a special option to burn images.  Some burning
software is smart enough to recognize that these are .iso images
and do the right thing, but it is totally dependent on your burning
software.

Once you've got a CD, these instructions will get you going:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

If you hit specific problems or have specific questions, feel free
to ask the list.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies