Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 19:59:24 +1030
From:      wincent <wincent@dingoblue.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   What are "octets"?

Really dumb question this one, but what are the "octets" referred to in my
ppp "show physical" output?

----

Connect time: 2:36:04
40520962 octets in, 1102167 octets out
  overall     4445 bytes/sec
  currently   5946 bytes/sec (over the last 5 secs)
  peak       11491 bytes/sec on Thu Dec  2 17:16:37 1999

----

Bytes? or something else? And what is actually being counted? I am not clear
about the distinction between "IPCP" and "physical" throughputs....

Thanks :-)
Wincent

PS I am connecting via a 56K modem, so I am obsessed with milking every last
drop of speed and throughput out of the connection.... heheh ;-)