Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:42:49 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "Marthias, Santosso" <SMarthias@epsiloninteractive.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 and RAID controller PERC 5/i in DELL PowerEdge 2950

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:27:00PM -0600, Marthias, Santosso wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> We have DELL PowerEdge 2950 with RAID controller PERC 5/i and 6 Fujitsu
> 73GB SAS disks.
>
> We created 3 RAID-1 virtual disks out of the 6 disks :
>
>             VD0 = RAID-1 using disk0 and disk1
>
>             VD1 = RAID-1 using disk2 and disk3
>
>             VD2 = RAID-1 using disk4 and disk5
>

> After that we installed FreeBSD 6.1.
>
> The FreeBSD 6.1 OS went to the first virtual disk (shown as mfid0 in
> sysinstall), we choose standard for "Install Boot Manager".
>
> The other 2 virtual disks we're using for data partition (entire mfid1
> mount as /data and entire mfid2 mount as /data/app), we choose none for
> "Install Boot Manager".
>

> The installation completed with no error.
>
> However, once the server in boot process, it shows error for
> /dev/mfid0s1a and require fsck on it. We tried to fsck but it failed.
> And looks like at this point the OS has corrupted.
>

> One thing is working, if we only use mfid0 for OS installation and leave
> (not use at all) mfid1 and mfid2, then the server rebooted fine after
> the OS installation (we get the login prompt).
>
> The problem is we want to have mfid0 for OS, mfid1 for /data, and mfid2
> for /data/app separated from each other and not together in one big
> virtual disk.
>

> Anybody know about this issue? Any suggestion?

There have been several bug fixes and improvements made to the mfi(4) driver
since 6.1 was released, including one that is supposed to fix problems with
multiple volumes.

I would suggest trying the latest 6.2-BETA and see if that works better. (It
probably will.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson