Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:38:04 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        jkoshy@freebsd.org
Cc:        wosch@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: better layout for sub-homepages

[cc: freebsd-doc]

On 1999-10-04 21:17:47 -0700, jkoshy@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/~wosch/data/copyright/
>
> This page looks really good under Netscape, but what you see with Lynx
> (I have v2.8.3dev5) is surprising :(.

Not surprising for me (Lynx Version 2.7.1). First the contents of the page
and at the bottom the links. The same layout as the FreeBSD homepage.
I wish we had a short description (3-10 lines) for every copyright,
e.g.:

FreeBSD Copyright Information

[1]The FreeBSD Copyright

This is the FreeBSD Copyright and preferred for new
code. There are some small differences between the
FreeBSD Copyright and the orginal BSD Copyright [...]

[2]The BSD Copyright

The orginal BSD Copyright from Berkeley. [some history ....]

[3]The BSD Daemon

The little red fellow that graces many of these pages is the BSD
Daemon. In the context of Unix systems, daemons are process that run
in the background attending to various tasks without human
intervention. [Copyright holder Kirk, the name is not Chuck ...]

[4]FreeBSD Ports redistribution restrictions

Some of the ports in this directory have restrictive copyrights prohibiting
their actual redistribution on mass media (FTP, CDROM, DVD) [...]

[5]GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE

An other Open Source license.

[6]GNU LIBRARY GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE

An other Open Source license for libraries, see below.

   [7]News
   [8]Software
   [9]Documentation
   [10]Support
   Copyright
     [11]FreeBSD
     [12]4.4BSD
     [13]BSD Daemon
     [14]FreeBSD Ports
     [15]GNU GPL
     [16]GNU LGPL
     [17]Search for:
   __________ Go
   [18][Home]

    [19]freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
    Copyright © 1995-1999 FreeBSD Inc. All rights reserved.
    $FreeBSD: www/en/copyright/copyright.sgml,v 1.4 1999/09/06 07:02:42
    peter Exp $

> Also, your message didn't indicate the scope of the proposed change:
>
> a) do we propose to automagically generate HTML in this form from DocBook
>    or is this layout meant for hand created web pages only?

currently for hand created web pages only.

> b) which of our web pages would be likely candidates for conversion?

The index and "meta" pages

http://www.freebsd.org/news/news.html
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html