Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2001 23:58:36 -0400
From:      Brian McGovern <mcgovern@beta.com>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.4-RC4 sysinstall bumps...

Ok. Couple of quick issues that are cosmetic over functional, but they'll
probably cause some confusion.

1.) In the system console configuration menu, you can't pick two items. So,
basically, you can't set the screen saver AND the timeout without going
down in to that menu twice. Thats kind of lame.

2.) In the partition menus and label menus, the disks are listed backwards.
(ie - ad1 before ad0). This will bite you if you're not paying attention, and
assume that the first disk is the boot disk, and put your boot partition there.
This will probably cause a bunch of mail to -questions along the lines of
"I installed, but why won't it boot?".

3.) Someone should run an intuitiveness check through the menus. In particular,
the partition menu is bad. Once you partition the disks, the only way out
is to select "Cancel". "Cancel" in my mind means (at worst) to abort
the installation, and at best, to abort the partitioning. In addition, the
text in the menu, "Use [TAB] to get to the buttons and leave this menu" don't
exactly tell you which button is for getting out. I see this generating a lot
of mail to -questions along the lines of "I partitioned my disk, but how
do I get out and continue the install?".

I realize these are pretty simply issues, but if you scare a novice user, or
screw up someone who is in a hurry, you'll feel it.

Even the last set of changes to sysinstall that moved menus, changed
keystrokes, and altered defaults screwed me up for a couple of months, and I
was doing > 10 installs a day. You get in to a rhythm of TAB, TAB, downarrow,
enter, space, downarrow, tab, value, x,x,x.... (This reminds me of
YellowBeard's "Crawl, Crawl, Roll, Stagger, Roll..., but I digress)...

Otherwise, once installed, it looks pretty healthy, although I haven't played
with vinum or sound yet ;)

	-Brian