Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 2021 16:34:37 -0800
From:      Tim Rice <tim@xinuos.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to setup ZFS mirrored boot device

On 2/1/21 3:56 PM, joe mcguckin wrote:
> I tried this but it=E2=80=99s not quite working.
>
> LSI controller flashed with IT firmware.
>
> 2) 1T SSD drives
>
> During the install process, I select to create a mirrored ZFS root. It =
appears to be created=20
> and there is a zroot dataset. zpool status shows everythings ok.
>
> Now it gets interesting:
>
> I pull one drive after  poweron but before FreeBSD starts - everything =
boots ok, zpool status reports one drive missing and suggests that I repl=
ace the missing drive and do a =E2=80=9Czpool online=E2=80=9D
> I do so and zpool reports everything=E2=80=99s ok.
>
> Now lets reboot and just after Bios power on, pull drive 2. FreeBSD boo=
ts until it wants to mount the root partition, can=E2=80=99t find it, dum=
ps me into a menual drive selection prompt.

> Hmm, I thought the point of a mirror was that *either* drive could fail=
.

> What am I doing wrong?
You did wait for the resilver to complete after bringing the 1st drive
back online
before the 2nd test, right?

> Thanks,
>
> Joe