Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2003 05:22:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup Solutions

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 11:00 PM -0500 2003/01/05, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

[AMANDA, and its major flaw]

> >                                                       It can use more
> >  than one tape during a backup *run*, but if any of the backups is
> >  larger than the tape the backup will fail.  At work we use Amanda
> >  extensively and we're just careful about keeping filesystems smaller
> >  than tapes (or else buying drives with higher capacity) but if you've
> >  got a bunch of 80gig drives and only a 4mm tape drive then you're likely
> >  to hit this restriction big time.
>
> 	Especially since I'm just about to really get into editing home
> video digitally, and I need to dump all the video I've captured
> (several 80 minute MiniDV tapes) and then start putting all that
> together.
>
> 	I may need a terabyte of storage or more, but so long as I buy
> ultra-high capacity and relatively inexpensive drives, I think I can
> RAID them at the server and still keep the costs within reasonable
> limits.

Repeat after me:

RAID is NOT a backup.

You're smarter than this Brad, there are many reasons to do backups, and
disk failure is one of the least common reasons (ie, how many times have
you had to restore user files deleted accidentally vs. due to hardware
failure?)

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"