Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 17:05:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        jcwells@u.washington.edu (Jason C. Wells)
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, fpawlak@execpc.com, drifter@stratos.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

Jason C. Wells wrote:
> I feel that a rag tag militia that has heart and the support of the
> population is incredibly difficult to defeat. I have heard commanders of
> the South East Asian theater make this statement.

	an insurgency supported by the local population against a
	visibly distinct opposing force is formidable, indeed.
	those characteristics do not and would not obtain in the USA.

> I feel that an auto loading rifle is sufficient for the purpose of
> opposing tyranny. This is a personal opinion.

	well, i beg to differ.  please speak to some veterans about
	arty and its affects on infantry.  (one hint: arty kills
	more infantry than *anything* else, sometimes more than all
	other weapons combined).

	alternatively talk to vietnam vets about the effects of
	repeated airstrikes on the survivors.  watch them whenever
	they hear a plane close overhead.  not a pretty sight.

> >	what would it have availed the chinese students to have
> >	small arms in tianamen (sp) square.  it would not have
> >	forestalled action by the gov't.
>
> No it would not have forstalled the government. Here I will avoid
> discussion (I am a proponent) of civil disobedience as an instrument of
> power. Still, if the citizens of the nation of China were given the
> weapons that the only the civilians of the US owns, there would be a shift
> in power.

	yes, given sufficient number and external support, if they
	could survive that long.

	i am not necessarily disagreeing with you, but rather believe
	that the odds are very long.  people that play long odds in war
	are called casualties.
jmb