Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 21:34:32 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/print/ghostscript4

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:

> narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee writes:
>  >
>  >
>  > On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:
>  >

[snip]

>  >
>  > Problems like this should be real easily fixable - or will something more
>  > than the number in the filename have to change in the makefile?
>
> Sure. But what I meant to say was, that if only
> the name of a distribution files changes, then
> we should generally keep the old name in the
> port's Makefile, in order to reduce unneccesary
> multi-megabyte FTP transfers.

Just what I meant - the situation can be changed (that is multi-megabyte
transfer avoided) by minute changes to the existing (and future) ports.
I can see no way why the ports maintainer should or could object to it
other than in the cases when the file with the old name is no more
present on the ftp sites (instead of linking, the old file is renamed).

> A note might be required in the Makefile, which
> indicates that the TAR file remains unchanged
> and thus the version from the previous release
> will still be used ...

All such things *should* be corrected. At least for the future ports. Ok,
this goes as IMHO, but I really can't see any counterarguments to it on
the moment other than swelling the size of the distfiles directory.

	Sander