Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:33:53 +0100
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount the same filesystem read-only on multiple boxes, and read-write on one ?

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:30:35PM -0800, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Jesper Skriver wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if it would be possible to mount the same filesystem
> > (over fiberchannel) read-only on multiple boxes, while at the same
> > time it would be mounted read-write on a single box which write
> > updates to the files.
>
> I think some work would be needed to disable caching for the RO
> filesystem.  It couldn't cache anything since it could change out from
> under it ...

That would be less of a problem, assuming it wouldn't cache it for long
periods of time anyway.

> Also, most SANs don't let you export a volume to multiple systems.

I was told by the storage people that it possible, I believe they use it
on some Solaris clusters too.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)