Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:06:15 -0600
From:      Richard Loken <richardlo@admin.athabascau.ca>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: future for FBSD on alpha

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> basically if you install port sysutils/bsdstats (just a shell script),
> it will send a message from your box monthly to to bsdstats.org
> with arch, os version, etc. The idea is to lobby software
> producers into supporting their stuff on bsd by showing a large number
> of live bsd systems.

It is shame that I (and maybe a few thousand other Alpha FreeBSD users)
hadn't heard of bsdstats and bsdstats.org five or more years ago.  I find
it amazing that the open source OS's for Alphas are deemed dead befor HP
themselves have finished filling in the grave.

Fruther to this non-communication/miscommunication morass, I have never
upgraded my PC164 beyond FreeBSD 5 because I was led to believe that X
did not work on Alpha version 6.  Sheesh...  It is my home workstation so
I want X on it and, yes, it does help to keep me warm in the winter.

As for winning the heating and power consumption war.  My work station here
in the office is an Alphaserver 4100 with two 600MHz CPU's and 4G of memory
running OpenVMS 7.3-1. I am used to the hum and it keeps the office warm.

Why VMS?  Because I was abandoned by FreeBSD.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Unix System Administrator : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn