Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:49:09 +0100
From:      Gavin Chappell <G.A.Chappell@lboro.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NWFS filesystem support in FreeBSD

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> utilities to provide a network connection to a Novell Netware server
>> running the traditional filesystem. Is there any way that this could
>> be used to mount a Netware filesystem attached locally (via a Dell
>> PERC 3/DC controller and PV220S disk enclosure) for data recovery
>> purposes?
>
> it would be completely different code to do this. with mount_ncpfs all
> fs handling is done by netware.
>
> AFAIK there is no such tool
>
> simple use qemu to run netware possibly directly from that disk and then
> use virtual network interfaces and mount_ncpfs :)

(re-posting to the list to explain the background to why I'm asking...)

I have a working Netware 5.1 installation which will no longer recognise
the VOL2: volume (which is on a RAID5 in the PV220S). I think this is
the latest in a long line of problems with the 220S, there's many
annoyed users around these parts who have had problems with them).

In short, I can't use Netware to either mount or VRepair the damaged
volume, so I have the 4 disk RAID5 set which I can't attach to any other
controller (this is the only PERC3/DC I have, which is based on an LSI
Logic controller, all the other RAID controllers I have in my Dells are
PERC3/Di, which are based on Adaptec controllers and can't recognise the
LSI Logic array). I was hoping that maybe Linux or Unix/BSD would have
enough NWFS code to be able to attach the volume directly and treat it
as a local filesystem rather than being transported across the network
via NCP.

Looks like I'm out of luck and will have to settle for the content from
the backup tapes I've already restored, and lose the remaining days
worth of changes :-(

Cheers,
Gavin