Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:17:19 -0400
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        "Scott B. Corey" <sbcorey@azstarnet.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KDE

Doug wrote:

> "Scott B. Corey" wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have 3.2-stable running, with a working x-server with KDE as default, however
> > when I startx it takes a very very very long time to come up to speed.
>
>         My work machine is low on both cpu and ram, and this is my experience as
> well.
>
> > I have
> > 32 megs of memory, a Trio3D graphics with 4 meg, the x-server is 3.3.3.0,
> > 640x480 75x75.
> >
> > My questions are:
> > Do I need more memory?
>
>         Yes. At least 64 if you want half way decent performance.
>
> > Do I need to upgrade my video?
>
>         Off hand, no, but I don't recognize the name of that card. It sounds like
> it has a servicable amount of ram though.
>
> > Or, have I configured my x-server all wrong?
>
>         Probably not. X is a pig, and KDE isn't much better (although it's still
> my favorite wm). I think more ram will dramatically increase your
> performance, especially if you use netscape. Make sure that you have
> MOZILLA_NO_ASYNC_DNS=True
> set in your environment so that netscape won't suck up another 16M that it
> doesn't really need. You might also consider upgrading to X 3.3.4, but
> don't count on much of a boost from that.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Doug

R-pig == x+kde&gimp Why! I haven't found a good way to buffer the *slow*, old
and clicky IDE drive. If, and read that as when, I find out; my life will be
simple again. The only cure I have thought (??) of is SCII. So, if I am wrong
about this, as the saying goes, "I am all ears". (doesn't that sound so weird?)

-d
---