Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 22:31:29 -0500
From:      David Deaven <deaven@execpc.com>
To:        Theodore Hope <freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr>
Cc:        mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us (Mike Newell), dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 install hangs during probe

FYI--

I recently had a 3.1 install hang during the "probing devices" screen.
Switching virtual consoles (use alt-F1 and alt-F2) allowed me to see the error
messages which identified the problem.  I had a very old seagate IDE drive on
my secondary controller which was causing the problem.  This drive works fine
after FreeBSD is installed (the machine used to run 2.2.6, 2.2.8, and now runs
3.1) but does not tolerate the probing done during install.  If you have an
ancient (>4yr) IDE drive in there you might try removing it.  I was able to
simply remove the secondary controller from the visual boot config, and that
did the trick to get past the install probe.