Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 17:11:24 -0800
From:      D Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        rjyoung@cgocable.net, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Subscribing to -questions [was: Download and installation]

On Feb 28, 1999 @ around 00:08GMT, Sue Blake wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 01:18:35PM -0800, D Pilgrim wrote:
> >
> > You don't have to subscribe to freebsd-questions to send a question,
> > just make sure to request an e-mailed reply.
> >
> > (Did I get it right Sue?)
>
> Thank you, very well said :-) But it's probably time to clarify the two
> sides of the subscribe or not question.
>
> Generally all newbies should be subscribed to freebsd-questions.
> There'll be a lot of mail that you don't understand, but in between
> you'll pick up an awful lot of useful info, and save yourself from
> falling into traps or being the first to ask a question that feels
> dumb.

I had forgotten about the advantages of eavesdropping.  :-)  The last
time I followed -questions, I was getting around 300 e-mails per day,
that was just after the release of 2.2.7.  My current ISP only gave
me 2MB of space for web pages AND my inbox so I don't have the space
to handle that much e-mail.  As soon as I can start spooling locally
I will, but until then...

> Internet access is not so easy in all countries, some people only
> getting a few minutes twice a week over a 2400 baud modem. Also blind
> people and others using special equipment would have serious trouble
> with the volume.

Up until around 1993 I had always thought that flat rate phone serivce
was available the world over.  Then I found out some of the metering
rates charged in Asia, it's insane!  I hang my head in shame at the
admission of how technologically spoiled I am.

> And if you ever get any flack about your email style, or anything else,
> come back here and we'll sort it out.

It's all about netiquette (internet etiquette).  Like don't shout (use
all caps), or 7yP3 L1|<3 7}{1$! (that's elite for "type like this"), I
had a bookmark of a really great page on netiquette...

> You might also notice that I've quoted only that part of the message
> that I was responding to, and used the chatty list name abbreviations
> like "-questions" for "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" and so on. And as
> usual I've prattled on far too long :-)

Oh yes, editting out irrelevant parts is very neccessary.  An old
custom from Usenet is to add "<snip>" or some variant to indicate
where you made your cuts (think scissors).

I don't think you prattled on.  You sent me an e-mail that was 10KB
long the other day, this one was only 4KB.  Slipping?

> --
>
> Regards,
>         -*Sue*-

Oh yeah, and never quote a person's signature.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net                                    ICQ: 29880099
gryph@mindless.com                          PGP DH/DSS key available