Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:09:51 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Alex Semenyaka <alexs@ratmir.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New list eh?

Alex Semenyaka wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:03:05AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>>I've also been thinking about writing all this stuff into a "FreeBSD
>>Performance Guide" for the handbook.  What does everyone think of that?
>

> That is really good idea. But it might be a lot of work to gather information,
> compile it, sort into topics and so on. Probably as the starting point the
> manual tuning(7) can be taken?

Yes, the tuning man page is ok, but it doesn't address the real heavy
duty questions.  For instance, I run a mega-heavily used NFS server
(well, several of them actually), and I want to know what knobs to turn
to make it perform the absolute best.  I also occasionally get errors,
and I'd like to know how to fix those.  The tuning man page says nothing
about that stuff.

Yes, it will be lots of work, but I already have a lot of time put in to
the doc project so it's no big deal for me.

Eric

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?